Oct 31, 2023
Relief Positions Available
(Short-notice & casual shifts – hours cannot be guaranteed)
Street Health is a community-based agency providing innovative physical and mental health programs and advocacy to the homeless and insecurely housed individuals in downtown Toronto for over 30 years. Street Health, a not-for-profit organization located within the downtown-east neighborhood of Toronto, works to improve the health and well-being of
people who are homeless and under-housed by addressing the social determinants of health. Our organization provides services in the areas of innovative nursing, mental health, harm reduction, Overdose prevention, Safer Supply, outreach, identification replacement programs, and through advocacy, research, and education.
Street Health is creating a pool of Environmental Service Relief Workers who will provide general maintenance services for the organization, located primarily at 338 Dundas Street East. The requests for coverage will often be filled on short notice and on a casual basis. As a relief role, hours cannot be guaranteed for this position.
Responsibilities of the position include, but may not be limited to:
• Clean all areas of Street Health, including inside and outside both buildings, driveway and backyard to ensure that our buildings are well-maintained and presentable;
• Work collaboratively with the Administrative Coordinator and others to determine priorities in maintenance work;
• Implement bed bug protocol with regular maintenance;
• Ensure gardens and courtyard are clean and well maintained;
• Follow WHMIS and other health and safety protocols when cleaning clinical spaces;
• Ensure garbage, recycling, and compost are collected and disposed of;
• Ensure completion of maintenance tasks including general repairs, painting etc.
• Ensure any used harm-reduction equipment is disposed of in a safe way;
• Assist in unloading and storage of delivery supplies;
• Engage and connect with clients of Street Health in a non-judgment way; and
• Maintain a friendly and welcoming presence for our neighbors and other visitors.
• Manage organizational administrative tasks such as checking emails, completing timesheets, etc.
• Meet with the Executive Director on a monthly basis to provide program updates.
• Participate in other organizational activities and required training.
• All other duties as may be assigned within the scope of this position.
Qualifications & Requirements:
• A minimum of 2 years experience in building and maintenance repair including experience with basic plumbing repairs, basic electrical, basic carpentry, painting, drywall repair, ceramic tiling, lock/door hardware, etc.
• Lived and/or living experience with substance use and harm reduction.
• Scheduling flexibility is needed to cover shifts with short notice.
• Demonstrated understanding of Workplace Health and Safety measures.
• Experience working in an organization that provides services similar to that of Street Health.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Valid CPR certification or ability to obtain certification within the first 3 months of employment.
• Vulnerable Sector Screening Check
Don’t meet every single qualification? If you are intrigued and excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in this job posting, we encourage you to apply anyway. You might just be the right candidate we have been searching for to join our team! Research has shown that people of colour, women and members of other equity deserving groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. Street Health is committed to building a diverse and authentic organization and we welcome your application
Position Type: Relief Bargaining Unit
Salary: $23.15 per hour
Work Hours: Relief (casual) shifts, often on short notice Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Work Location: 338 Dundas Street East, Toronto, ON, M5A 2A1
Reports to: Executive Director
Posting Date: Tuesday October 31, 2023
Application Deadline: Monday November 13, 2023
Please submit a cover letter and resume by 5:00 pm on Monday November 13, 2023, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote “ESWRelief_3423” in the subject line of the email.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com